Music Theory 2
Study Cycle: 1
ECTS credit: 6
Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Bogunović Hočevar Katarina, doc. dr. Sukljan Nejc, red. prof. dr. Vrhunc Larisa
Through an analysis of selected musical works, the lectures consist of:
• analysing and refreshing the definitions of concepts and methods of form and harmony;
• analysing the connections and co-dependence of musical components and formal structure;
• learning about different compositional approaches and styles in the period up to around 1900;
• learning about the main form related topics:
o formal elements
o song form
o polyphonic forms.
Seminary is dedicated to ear training. Main topics are:
• Rhythm and metre, simple rhythms.
• Pitches (major in minor scales, leading-tone, intervals in a melodic context, lower voice, chromatic scale, sequences, pentatonic scale, other scale types).
• Textures with multiple voices (types of textures, cadences, modulations).
• Recognising style characteristic, forms and other musical parameters in works from various periods by ear.
The tutorial is divided in two sections:
1. Refreshing and deepening the knowledge about music theory disciplines (harmony, counterpoint, form) and elements based on actual examples. It covers the following main topics:
• basic music theory;
• four-voice harmony;
• introduction to scales;
• harmony in the period of vocal polyphony in 15th and 16th century;
• functional harmony of the 18th century;
• harmonically foreign tones;
• expansion of the field of cadence with side branches;
• turn towards classicism.
2. Organology and theory of early music:
• Basic groups of instruments: string (bowed and plucked), wind, bras, percussion, keyboard. 12 hours of this section are field work.
• Musical theoretical systems (antiquity to ca. 1600).